Students use Twitter and Instagram in conjunction with Patriot Pages, the online student news site. Our student news site is a WordPress site, and students from multimedia design and multimedia publications create the content. We’ve had great success. If you want to implement a student-run school social media account, you need the following:
1. Get permission from your principal. It helps that my principal uses Twitter to communicate with the community.
2. Find trustworthy students with great communication skills. I’m not exaggerating; I would adopt these two students if needed. They are smart, and they understand the bigger picture.
3. Research how other schools and businesses are using social media. Understand the importance of hashtags and the anatomy of a tweet.
4. Embed the feed on your school news site.
5. Encourage other teachers, students, sports, clubs, etc., to use Twitter and then help them promote their events and achievements.
Both of these students were recognized for their efforts at the Alabama Scholastic Press Association conference.